From BAMBOO RIDGE Issue Number 101, THE NANJING MASSACRE: POEMS, by Wing Tek Lum
Triggers for January:
1. responding to heaven
2. we would without question be victorious
3. in the same situation
4. it was not worth the effort
5. so one last attempt is made
6. this moment of the truest horror
7. ignorant and without shame
8. I would rather stay here with you
I was peeking through the bushes.
The sisters, the prettiest girls in the valley,
were washing clothes by the bend in the river,
and after wringing their garments dry
they slid into the water themselves,
as usual, fully clothed.
This was my special moment,
to see them bathing, frolicking in their privacy,
their bare calves glistening,
their long loosed hair
swirling about the water’s surface,
their voices carrying aloft
sweet village tunes.
. . .
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
Become a fan of Bamboo Ridge Press.