From BAMBOO RIDGE Issue Number 103, BEYOND GREEN TEA AND GRAPEFRUIT, Poems and Stories by Gail N. Harada
Triggers for February:
1. that’s how she got the name
2. tried unsuccessfully not to start crying again
3. was this a good sign
4. it didn’t make sense
5. the father watching his son
6. feeling the panic in my stomach spread
7. turned a burden into a gift
8. believing in the persuasive powers of friendship
GRANDMA’S ENGLISH LESSONS
I wonder how Grampa chose my grandmother,
a picture bride, who tried to learn English
from the local Japanese radio station
after he was dead twenty years
and she was in her eighties.
She would point at her knee
and say “nii” triumphantly,
point at her elbow and say “e-rubo,”
proud of her late-blooming English vocabulary.
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
Become a fan of Bamboo Ridge Press.